MACC report lodged pertaining to road allocation in Kanowit

SIBU: Kanowit, Lanang and Sibu PKR divisions today lodged a report with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) pertaining to the RM50 million fund the previous federal government approved for the construction of the 22km Nanga Ngungun-Nanga Jagau Road in Kanowit.

The allocation was announced by former Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak during a state election campaign at Rumah Taboh, Rascom Resettlement Scheme in Nanga Ngungun on March 27, 2016.

Kanowit PKR Division secretary George Chen said despite the approval of the allocation, the construction of the road had not yet commenced.

“We, as Sarawakians, want to know where the money has gone to? Has the money been allocated or hijacked by politicians to other areas for development? We want to know,” he told reporters after lodging the report at MACC office at Wisma Persekutuan here today,

He said the earth breaking ceremomy of the road construction project had been performed three times – in 2012, 2014 and 2016.

Apart from Najib, the report was lodged against Deputy Chief Minister Tan Sri Dr James Masing and Kanowit Member of Parliament Datuk Aaron Ago Dagang, whom Chen alleged to have made empty promises in order to gain support from voters during election times.

The people from 40 longhouses in the area have to continue using logging road to commute to Kanowit bazaar because of the unfulfilled promise.

He said during rainy season, the logging road would be impassable to all vehicles, making life hard for the people there.

The three PKR divisions have lodged police reports pertaining to the matter at the Kanowit police station on June 6 and at the Commercial Crime Division in Sibu District Police Headquarters on June 11.

READ  The ‘vigorous earthquake’ that didn’t happen

Also present were Kanowit PKR chairman Thomas Laja Besi and Lanang PKR chairman Law Hin Ching. — Bernama

Leave a Reply